New ABA Book Offers Strategies to Protect Lawyers from Hackers and Other Security Threats
CHICAGO, April 20, 2012 – In November, the FBI met with major law firms to warn that hackers see attorneys as a back door to the valuable data of their corporate clients. Locked Down: Information Security for Lawyers, a new book from the ABA Law Practice Management Section, explains the information security risks facing law firms and how lawyers can best protect their data—within any budget. Written in clear, non-technical language, this book will help lawyers:
- Create secure passwords–and store them safely,
- Assess the existing security risks at their firms: server rooms, cleaning crews, guests, alarm systems and more,
- Work securely from a laptop or smartphone,
- Protect mobile devices from theft,
- Authenticate users and encrypt data,
- Maintain e-mail integrity,
- Secure a wired or wireless network,
- Effectively wipe data from a hard drive before disposal,
- Develop an information security checklist for their firm,
- Investigate, contain, and recover from a security breach.
Locked Down is written by Sharon D. Nelson and John W. Simek of Sensei Enterprises Inc., a computer forensics and legal technology firm based in Fairfax, Va., and David G. Ries, a partner in the Pittsburgh office of Thorp Reed & Armstrong LLP.
With nearly 400,000 members, the _ is the world’s largest voluntary professional membership organization. As the national voice of the legal profession, the ABA works to improve the administration of justice, promotes programs that assist lawyers and judges in their work, accredits law schools, provides continuing legal education, and works to build public understanding around the world of the importance of the rule of law.
Title: Locked Down: Information Security for Lawyers
Publisher: ABA Law Practice Management Section
Product Code: 5110741
Size: 7 × 10
Orders: 800.285.2221 or www.ShopABA.org
Editor’s note: Review copies are available by sending an e-mail to Lindsay Dawson at . If you publish a review of this book, please send tearsheets or a copy for our files to Lindsay Dawson, _, Book Publishing, 321 N. Clark St., Chicago, IL 60654.